In a world grappling with the escalating challenges of climate change, ValuesCo, along with TIME, Celo and 101 partners are launching a new type of initiative to enable a way for Nonprofits, brands, media publishers, and creators to address the urgent environmental concerns we face. Today we are proudly announcing the launch of GENZERO, a groundbreaking coalition-based climate action campaign poised to redefine the landscape of collective action towards environmental advocacy and climate outcomes.
ValuesCo announces the launch of GENZERO (genzeroaction.com), a first of its kind coalition-based climate action campaign and community that aims to drive individuals to take action on the social and environmental challenges of our time. The inaugural GENZERO campaign hopes to drive 100,000 participants to action with 100 partners confirmed, including TIME, amidst its 100th anniversary. Participants are incentivized to take action through rewards and gamification – enabling participation in-feed on social media and through the ValuesCo app – defining a new, participatory way to engage audiences in creating positive impact. GENZERO launches on November 27th ahead of the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP28) beginning on Friday.GENZERO, launching this week stands as a testament to the power of collaboration. This coalition is not merely a campaign; it's an experience that is just the first step in the birth of an evergreen community that brings together an alliance of strategic partners, nonprofits, influencers, and brands committed to driving meaningful climate action.
The GENZERO campaign is available on the ValuesCo web app, which powers campaigns for participants to take action towards impact goals.
- Nonprofits provide actions for the campaign.
- Creators present actions to their audiences.
- Brands reward actions via sweepstakes, products, experiences, and donations. Participants take action, earn points, and redeem for prizes.
The GENZERO Coalition consists of:
- Strategic partners: TIME, carbon negative blockchain Celo, global design and innovation company IDEO and award-winning Impact Media
- Nonprofits: Greenpeace, The Nature Conservancy, Leonardo DiCaprio co-founded Re:Wild, Rare, Kiss the Ground, Amazon Sacred Headwaters, Amazon Watch, NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council), Zero Hour, Climate Cardinals, EarthDay.org, The Solutions Project, Amazon Frontlines, If Not Us Then Who
- Creators & Activists: Including Actor & Activist Mark Ruffalo, 2022 VICE Person of Year & youngest ever UN Advisor Sophia Kianni, Black Girl Environmentalist Founder &first Black person to be a Rhode, Truman & Udall Scholar Wawa Gatheru, GRAMMY Nominated Rapper & Activist Vic Mensa, 2020 Goldman Environmental Prize Winner & 2023 Inaugural TIME100 Climate Indigenous Activist Nemonte Nenqimo (Waorani, Ecuador), Indigenous Fast & Furious/Vampire Diaries Actress & Activist Nathalie Kelley (Quechua, Peru), Entourage Actor & Lonely Whale Founder Adrian Grenier, Activist, First Indigenous Amazonian Born/Raised Model & Star of Postcard From Earth Zaya (Kamurape & Guarani Mbya, Brazil), Environmental activist & youngest ever White House Advisor Jerome Foster II, Environmental Educator & QueerBrownVegan Creator Isaias Hernandez, Cultural Sustainability Entrepreneur & Creator of OSCARS® Style Guide Samata Pattinson, 7X GRAMMY Award-Winning Engineer, Producer & UN Goodwill Ambassador Gordon “Commissioner” Williams, Recording Artist, Actor & Philanthropist Ky-Mani Marley, Inside Amy Schumer Actress & Comedian Helen Hong, TIME100 Next Activist Xiye Bastida (Otomi, Mexico), Former All-Pro NFL Player & Renowned Yogi Keith Mitchell, Founder of Gen Z VCs Meagan Loyst and GRAMMY Nominated Artist & UN Environment Ambassador Rocky Dawuni––and Activists Marina Testino, Jamie Margolin, Winter BreeAnne & Keely Cat Wells, Artists Beaux, Soul Clap, Jagwar Twin, Spencer Guilburt & Aaron Ableman, and Indigenous Storytellers Snow Raven (Sakha Republic of Siberia), Manari Ushigua (Sapara Nation, Ecuador), Chief Phil Lane Jr. (Yankton Sioux & Chickasaw, U.S.) & Xiuhtezcatl (Xochimilca, Mexico)
- Cultural partners like Shepard Fairey AKA Obey Giant - behind the iconic Barack Obama “Hope” poster, Ecotok Collective - the largest climate collective on TikTok, and UNIFY
- Purpose-driven Brands like OLIPOP, Guayakí, GIO Scooters, Allbirds and Organic India
Pillars of Change:
GENZERO addresses environmental challenges through five crucial pillars: Energy, Zero Waste, Rewilding, Justice, and Food. Nonprofits, including The Nature Conservancy and NRDC, have identified high-impact actions across these pillars, forming the foundation for a call to action that transcends traditional awareness campaigns.
Influencers as Catalysts:
Recognizing the power of influencers in today's digital age, GENZERO enlists the support of influential figures such as Sophia Kianni, Adrian Grenier, and Isaias Hernandez. These advocates will present actionable steps across the campaign's pillars, igniting a flywheel effect of viral grassroots action.
“Instead of being overwhelmed by the crisis, let’s join forces with local communities and show up for one another and take care of the places we call home,” said Gloria Walton, CEO & President at The Solutions Project and Mark Ruffalo, Actor, Activist, and Co-Founder of The Solutions Project. “Every action, big or small, matters — from educating ourselves on climate justice to voting and holding our elected officials accountable to making greener lifestyle choices. Together, our collective efforts add up and can wield significant impact. We must all contribute what and when we can to create a more equitable and sustainable world.”
“Although the scale of the climate crisis can be daunting, I am filled with hope by the incredible youth volunteers from all around the world who organize to advance collective advocacy,” says Sophia Kianni, climate activist and youngest-ever advisor to the United Nations. “The world's challenges are too great for us to silo ourselves based on age or experience. We must come together, share our insights, and collaborate across generations to shape a sustainable and equitable future.”
Join the Movement:
GENZERO is more than a call to action; it's an invitation to join a global movement. As we face the critical challenges outlined in the UN's recent IPCC report, GENZERO invites the world to learn, take action, and stand with front line communities to affect positive change.
In conclusion, GENZERO is not just a campaign but a beacon of hope in the face of the climate crisis. It's a testament to the power of collaboration, the influence of grassroots movements, and the potential for positive change when we come together. Join us in spreading the word, taking action, and being a part of the global movement for climate action. Together, we can make a difference and build a sustainable and equitable future for generations to come.
Cofounder & CEO